Another worthy addition to the series

The Heart of the Lost Star - Megan Derr

Fantasy & romance

Length

5 to 6 hrs reading time

Cover

I adore these covers. Excellent.

Tropes

Long distance relationship, long lost heir, pining

Heat level

Some scenes, more sensual than graphic

MC1

Jadar. Previously Deputy High Commander. Taken over as High Commander since Lesto hung up his sword. An Islander in all but birth. Loves pretty things. Family is important. Never sleeps with somebody more than once.

MC2

Kamir. Sweet but strong divorced father of two. Abused by his former husband & with a family that tries to control him into doing his bidding. Kamir is FTM transgender. Kamir has low self-esteem because the High Court and is parents treat him like damaged goods.

Relationship

Kamir has been in love with Jader for a long time but thinks he is below Jader's attention.  Jader isn't used to wanting the same lover more than once or twice. And just when it appears that maybe he wants more with Kamir, Jader is dragged off to another country.

What worked

Megan Derr's world building is excellent and her characters are rich and diverse. All of the previous characters appear in various degrees in this story and it's great to catch up with them.

What didn't

The lovers are apart for about 50% of the book and only carry on their relationship through letters. This makes for some great pining.

Extra info

This is book 3 of the series and I highly recommend reading the other books first. They are excellent in their own right but also provide background information to the ongoing political climate and character relationships. There will be at least two more books in the series.

Summary

Excellent addition to the series. Jader's surprise as he falls in love is adorable. Kamir is strong despte the abuse he suffers and yet he learns that it is okay to accept help. And it is fun to catch up with all the other couples in the series so far. Well-written with some amusing scenes to temper the parts that made me mad and the ones that choked me up.

Star rating